“Did You Know” Presentation Sequel at XPLANE

At XPLANE one of the projects we're currently working on is a new version of the popular "Did You Know" video from Karl Fisch (read Karl's post on the upcoming sequel) and Scott McLeod (...and Scott's post on the sequel). If you haven't heard about this video, the gist is that it provides you with some extremely provoking thoughts on the world economy, education, and general globalization. The original has been viewed over 2 million times on various video postings around the web, including YouTube.

We're taking what was a PowerPoint presentation (turned video), updating the content with new stats and thoughts as provided by Karl and Scott with some consulting help from us, and then redoing the graphics/design. Instead of limiting ourselves with PowerPoint we're designing in Illustrator, animating in Flash, then exporting to QuickTime. That said, I'm excited to have a project that will allow me to try out several parts of the new CS3 workflow so quickly.

I believe the original video has been accepted to a film festival in Telluride, Colorado, and the organizers will be taking a look at the new one once completed and possibly presenting it. So keep your eyes peeled to Karl and Scott's blog, YouTube, and of course here for more information as we wrap up this sequel.

This is an exciting project, and I'm glad to be a part of it!

Karl Fisch said,

April 23, 2007 @ 8:05 pm

I’m glad you’re a part of it too!

Just to clarify, the original has been accepted at the film festival, but they’re willing to take a look at the “new and improved” version and substitute it if they like it.

[Thanks for clarifying the situation — I’ve updated the post to reflect this. -j]

Dave Gray said,

April 24, 2007 @ 3:21 am

Keep us posted JonnyMac!

Richard Birdsall said,

June 3, 2007 @ 8:16 am

While Karl’s original presentation is breathtaking, the facts presented are mostly inaccurate or unverifiable. Researching the sources Karl offers I find only a handful of the data he uses is accurate. Fully two-thirds of the data he uses is wrong, simplified to the point of being misleading, otherwise misreported, or unverifiable.

Should we be pointing the way to the future with inaccurate information?

jonnymac said,

June 3, 2007 @ 8:26 am

Richard – since I have not conducted in-depth fact checking on, and was not involved with the original presentation, I am not able to comment directly on your claims. However, I can tell you that Karl will be posting an entire list of references for the new version on his blog, and the new version does include a good portion of the data from the initial video.

Karl is extremely sensitive to ensuring that all his facts are verifiable, to the point that we’ve delayed the new version several times while he compiles data and rechecks the information.

I’m sure if you contacted Karl directly he would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

jonnymac blog » Did You Know 2.0 Video Presentation Released said,

June 22, 2007 @ 3:04 pm

[…] had previously posted about working with Karl Fisch and Scott McLeod on this project at XPLANE, and I’m very excited […]

jonnymac blog » What To Do When Flash CS3 QuickTime Export Freezes said,

September 12, 2007 @ 8:22 am

[…] least. Over the past few days I have been trying to export a project to QuickTime, specifically the “Did You Know” video we are working on at XPLANE, and the progress bar always stalls at the very end. We tried letting it sit for an hour, a few […]