Offline Help and Language Reference Location in Flash CS4

Since installing Flash CS4 a few weeks back, I have been searching my hard drive looking for the offline help and ActionScript 3.0 language reference. Using the offline docs can be much faster than waiting for the online version to load, and they are helpful on planes or in other places you don't have internet access. A great resource to bookmark, which is what I did in CS3 but haven't been able to do in CS4 since they were not in the same or a similar location.

Well, it took me quite a while, but I finally found the correct location in CS4 and thought it might help save someone a few minutes of searching by posting it here:

OS X:
/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Help/en_US/AS3LCR/Flash_10.0/index.html

Windows:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Help\en_US\AS3LCR\Flash_10.0\index.html

You can also find the entire offline documentation for the Flash CS4 IDE at the following location in OS X:

/Library/Application%20Support/Adobe/Help/en_US/Flash/10.0_UsingFlash/index.html

Note: Since I only have a copy of Flash CS4 for OS X, I don't have the path for Windows. If you find the docs location on Windows, please leave a comment and I'll update the post.

[Update: Windows path added. Thanks!]

Mem's said,

November 4, 2008 @ 2:38 am

On windows it here:
“%COMMONPROGRAMFILES%\Adobe\Help\LANGUAGE\AS3LCR\index.html”
where LANGUAGE is like en_US or fr_FR

katopz said,

November 4, 2008 @ 3:41 am

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Help\en_US\AS3LCR\Flash_10.0\index.html

just know it! thx!

Danger said,

November 5, 2008 @ 7:12 am

When you set CS4 connections panel option to offline mode, you will get offline help by clicking “F1″ button.

See this post:

DM said,

November 13, 2008 @ 11:20 pm

I fail to understand why there is no option to use the local files only vs. being forced into this new help system. Seems like Adobe is strong-arming people to their site – for what reason? Who knows. Not cool though.

jonnymac blog » Offline AS3 Language Reference, No AIR Application Necessary said,

December 9, 2008 @ 11:59 am

[...] had previously posted about the offline help and language reference locations in Flash CS4 which allows you to access the local copy of the language reference from within a web browser. But [...]

Jon MacDonald said,

December 9, 2008 @ 12:01 pm

@DM – I just posted on how to use the offline/local docs from within Flash. See http://www.jonnymac.com/blog/2008/12/09/offline-as3-language-reference-no-air-application-necessary/

Matt Przybylski said,

December 12, 2008 @ 3:50 pm

I’ve also posted about this issue (and got a reply from an Adobe rep just recently) with a different solution. You can check it out here:

Will said,

April 30, 2009 @ 5:44 am

For those AS2 developers, I searched around a bit and found a zip file of the AS2 Language Reference for download. Unfortunately I can’t seem to find the accompanying Components Language Reference docs, but it’s better than nothing.