Flash JSFL Command: Locate Selected Symbol in Library

I've always wondered, "is there a way to select an object on the stage and then have a command tell me where that symbol is in the library?" For a Flash developer, this comes up at least once a day.

After some searching I came across a JSFL command for Flash CS3/CS4 that finds the parent symbol in the library of the item currently selected on the stage.

To install the command, download this file, unzip it and place the resulting JSFL file here:

Mac:
/Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Flash CS4/en/Configuration/

Windows:
\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Flash CS4\en\Configuration\

You can also replace CS4 with CS3 for your flavor of choice.

Once installed, select the object on the stage that you wish to locate in the library and is likely buried way, way deep inside nested folders that the Illustrator to Flash process created. In the toolbar choose "Commands" and then "Find in Library". The object will now be highlighted in your library panel. Digging for the symbol no longer required.

I'd like to point out that I am not claiming to have written this script, but I found it on some site far, far off on the Internet and which I can no longer locate to provide credit where credit is due. I do remember, however, it was provided "free and open source", so all should be well.

Justin Putney said,

March 4, 2009 @ 10:16 am

Hi,
There’s also a version of this extension by Animonger & ToonMonkey:

Jon MacDonald said,

March 4, 2009 @ 10:28 am

@Justin Thanks! I have also been notified of several other extensions and JSFL scripts that do the same thing, including one by Grant Skinner (http://www.gskinner.com/blog/archives/2007/03/extension_melee_2.html).

And to think I went without for years!

Alan said,

March 5, 2009 @ 6:31 am

?
How is this different than [object on stage]>right click>’Show in Library’

Jon MacDonald said,

March 5, 2009 @ 11:08 am

@Alan I haven’t gotten that to work correctly, especially for items nested in folders within the library. This script searches all folders recursively.

sheldon said,

May 27, 2009 @ 9:47 pm

Hi, dont work for me. CS4 WIN.

tks

Jon MacDonald said,

May 28, 2009 @ 6:35 am

@sheldon I am having problems with it as well since the latest Flash CS4 10.0.2 update. Looks like Adobe changed something in JSFL without documenting the change anywhere. It is not a complicated script, so it’d be easy to fix if I could find a list of exactly what changed in the 10.0.2 update.